The PEICA's mission is to promote counselling services on Prince Edward Island by providing support to the membership.
1. Is the counselling profession on PEI provincially regulated?
Yes, the College of Counselling Therapy of Prince Edward Island opened as of August 1, 2021. This provides title protection for use of the term “counselling therapist” or “CT”. To use those titles, you must be a registrant in good standing with the College.
2. Are all counsellors required to join the College of Counselling Therapy of Prince Edward Island?
No. Only if you use the title “counselling therapist” or “CT”, are you required to join the College.
3. As a school counsellor am I required to be a member of the PEICA – School Counselling Chapter?
No, you are not but we do recommend it. The School Counsellor Chapter provides opportunities to network with other school counsellors, share ideas/programs and resources.
4. What are the benefits of joining PEICA?
PEICA promotes the profession to the public, and provides communication bulletins to members. PEICA also offers networking opportunities with colleagues in the counselling field, discounts on some professional development opportunities, access to counselling resources, and an opportunity to take a leadership role within the organization.
5. Can counsellors maintain their membership with PEICA even if they are retired or employed in a non-counselling field?
Yes they can. There is a different fee structure for retired counsellors. See the membership tab for more information.
6. Does PEICA provide professional development opportunities to its membership?
Yes, we help to organize the annual Tri-PD conference alongside social workers and psychologists, and we provide information and financial incentives for members to attend PD.
7. What does the CCC designation represent?
The Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association offers this designation. A significant number of our members also hold this designation. It stands for Canadian Certified Counsellor. For more information on CCC and the process involved for acquiring this designation, visit their website link here
8. What networking opportunities exist for counsellors to interact with other colleagues in the counselling field?
We sometimes host social gathering mixers, professional development opportunities and periodic meetings of our membership, all of which provide excellent opportunities for colleagues to meet and interact. As a profession, we strive for connection and collaboration and this is reflected in our day to day interactions with one another.
9. Do I need to know a counsellor’s name when searching for a private counsellor on the CCPA website or can I search by location alone?
No, you do not need to know a counsellor’s name. You can simply search by location on CCPA site and it will give you a list of counsellors in the that location.
10. I would like more information on the various memberships, eg. CCPA, PEICA and School Counsellors Chapter and how they are linked.
Please click here for more membership information.
2. Mention of Membership and Use of CCPA Logo
4. Regulation and Practicing in Canada
The Prince Edward Island Counselling Association © 2018