The PEI Counselling Association has been in existence for approximately 30 years. Members of our association are professional counsellors who work in a variety of settings. These settings include schools, universities, colleges, hospitals, mental health agencies, rehabilitation facilities, career counselling centres, business and industry, correctional institutions, religious organizations, community services and private practice. Our members are masters-level professional counsellors with a variety of education backgrounds. Our membership is currently working with the provincial government to establish a regulatory body for counselling therapists. More updates on this are expected in 2021.
Our Counselling Therapist chapter is affiliated with the national association, the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA). Members of that chapter obtain their CCC (Canadian Certified Counsellor) designation through the CCPA.
Our School Counsellors chapter is affiliated with the PEITF Special Association for School Counsellors.
To promote counselling services on Prince Edward Island by providing support to the membership.
• To unite in one local organization all those persons who are engaged or interested in Counselling in the Province of Prince Edward Island.
• To promote contacts amongst diverse persons, agencies, organizations, professional associations, business and institutions participating directly and actively in the work of educational, vocational, and personal counselling for youth and adults.
• To provide facilities for an exchange of information relating to counselling services.
• To work toward the development and coordination of existing counselling services.
• To work through community and private agencies and governmental and educational authorities, and to collaborate with other professional associations towards improved conditions, resources, research and facilities. Such efforts shall be consistent with the Guidelines for Ethical Behaviour as stated by the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association.
Past-President: Bethany Toombs
President: Kylah Hennessey
Treasurer & Membership Coordinator: Eileen Conboy
Communications Officer: Rosalyn Strickey
Member-At-Large: Shelly Mann
PEI Director on CCPA Board: Andrea Garland
President of the PEICA-CTC (Counselling Therapist Chapter): Peter Mutch
President of PEICA-SCC (School Counselling Chapter): Cindy Wood
Chapters of the PEICA